Corp. John Buckley 69th. Pa Co. K.

Born circa 1840 Manchester England Died Philadelpkia XXXX

John Buckley was born as near as I can place in the year 1840.This date based on the age he gave when he enlisted at Philadelphia 27th. Aug. 1861. He enlisted as a Private soldier for three years the normal period of service. He was formally mustered into the regiment at Camp Observation Md. 31st Oct. 1861. He gave his age as 21. His records note that he was of fair complexion, 5ft. 8 !/4ins tall.hazel eyes and brown hair. He stated that he had been born in England and stated he was a lithographer by trade. He also stated that he lived in Bedford Mass.
The fact that he had a trade and was from Bedford Mass. and born England flags him up as not being the typical recruit into the 69th, mostly drawn from the poorer sections of Philadelphia's populaion with its high proportion of recently arrived Irishmen fleeing the famines of mid 18th century Ireland. Many were illiterate and at best had labouring jobs in and around Philadelphia.

"Forgotten Never!"
Descendant family members of Corp. John Buckley Co. K visit his memorial plinth Mount Moriah Cemetery Philadelphia.
John served throughout the war. Wounded at battle of Antietam.

Why John left Bedford and journey some 300 miles south to Philadelphia I just do not know, Perhaps the family left as a unit and decided there were better opportunities in Philadelphia a city starting to expand by the start of the Civil War. In any casee he found himself in Co. K of the 69th. and there he would remain until he mustered out 1st. July 1865. He survived the entire war. He was a very lucky guy.The 69th.Pa. like all regiments in the war was formed up in companies of varioUs numerical strengths. Generally each company was designated to have a battle role. John was allocated to Co. K. They were designated as a flamker company a company in their case during battles assigned to protect the left hand side of the regiment moving forward. Co. K. was numerically quite a large company with relatively few Irishmen in the ranks. However it was commanded by an Irishman a Lieut. Col. William Davis from Co. Co. Cork. He was also a leading member of the Fenian Society in Philadelphia.
John was wounded at Antietam Sept 17th 1862. Promoted mail agent 2nd Div. 2nd Army Corps July 1864. He had re-enlisted 9.2.1864 at Stevensburg Va. Mustered out with the Co. July 1st 1865. John died 22. 4. 1908 from asphyxiation due to gas poisoning (accidental) aged 67. Buried 25th April 1908. Parents English Arnold Buckley and Mary Somerton. Buried Mount Moriah cemetery Philadelphia. Buried Lot 107.

Pvte. Dennis McAnespy 69th. Pa Co. D.

Born circa 1818. Shot and killed near Cold Harbour Va. April 6th. 1862

Looking down the lists of names of each company of the 69th, one sees name after name with in many cases little information on each man. In many cases some research quickly throws up some links on the Internet or the P.A. Civil War register cards. However in he case of Dennis McAnespy little is found. Further investigation found that on Company D's soldiers gave a name of McNasby or McNasky. Looking at the actual Civil War documents showed a Dennis McAnespy. This is a very good example of how names were at times misunderstood by a recruiting officer with perhaps limited English and a man with a lilting Irish accept.
Looking at the papers of McAnespy it soon jumps out that this man was Irish stock and surrounded by people whose names suggest East Tyrone and S. Derry. McAnespy mustered in 21.10.1861 after having enlisted in Philadelphia 5.9.1861. He was aged 43 and had probably been encouraged to join during a visit to Danville by Capt. Harvey early in the war on a recruiting compaign. Dennis McAnespy's war lasted only a short time as he was killed April 6th 1862 when on picket patrol at Great Bethel near Yorktown he was killed by a mini ball shot. His war was over. As to what happened to his body or where he is buried I have no trace at this juncture.
Dennis was aged 43 when he joined putting his birth date at cira 1818. Aged 24 he married Susanna Donaghy at St. Michaels church Philadelphia May 7th 1848 by the Rev. William Loughran. Their witnesses were Felix McCusker and Margaret Lafferty.This marriage produced three children Catharine born 11.2.1849. Susan born 12.2.1851, Michael born 9.11.1854.
However on May 13th.1867 Susannah re-married this time to a Joseph Molloy with witnesses Joseph Walls and Regina Glen.

Sergt. Ambrose Tiffany Wilbur 71st. Pa Co. A. and Co. F 69th. Pa.

Born New Berlin New York 30.12.1831 died 12.4 1922 Richardson Kentucky aged 91.

This man would appear to have lived a very long life. Born in Chenango County, New York in 1831, he died near Richardson in rural Kentucky in 1922 in his 91st year. He appears to have received a good education and at age 18, he arrived in Peach Orchard, Lawrence County, KY then a remote area of the State. He was the eldest sibling of four born to Alonzo Wilbur and his wife, Mary Ann Strait, grocery store keepers in Pomfret, Chautauqua Co. New York. In the 1850 census, Alonzo is noted as a storekeeper and son Ambrose, a clerk, the oldest of their four children. It appears that William P. Mellen who was an attorney known to the Wilbur family back in New York moved to Kentucky to invest in the Peach Orchard coal mines and became a superintendent there. This was circa 1850. Soon word would get back to the Wilbur family in New York and soon Alonzo's son Ambrose moved to Peach Orchard and obtained a job as a clerk in Peach Orchard Mining Company in Lawrence County, KY. no doubt the job set up for him by Mellen. In looking at Ambrose's life, the name of the city of Cincinnati comes up a lot. It would have been a transit point for goods, coal, people heading towards the coal mines of Kentucky's Peach Orchard area one of the most important mining areas circa 1850. However Ambrose would appear to have used his position as a clerk in the coal mines simply as a staging position. He appears in the U.S. Postmasters appointments book (1832-1971) as being appointed as Postmaster at Peach Orchard, Lawrence Co. Ky. April 14, 1854. This would be career progress for him. His clerking abilities were becoming useful. His next target was to marry and have a family. From the Postmasters records the next postmaster was William R Marsh in 1857. It would be fair to assume that Ambrose was in charge right up to 1857 i.e. Ambrose is postmaster for some 3 years 1854-57. Still as postmaster at Peach Orchard, KY in 1855 he married Elizabeth “Lizzie” Cruger in Cincinnati Ohio May 31, 1855. It is known that Ambrose and his first wife Lizzie Cruger had a daughter Clara Belle born at Peach Orchard in 1856 so it would appear the initial family were together in 1856 and living in Peach Orchard. There would appear to have been major changes to Ambrose and family in 1857 when he relinquished his post as postmaster at Peach Orchard. As to why he gave up his postmasters’ role is unknown. However it is known that he and Lizzie divorced in either 1860 or 1864. The date of 1864 is probably correct. For whatever reason, Ambrose decided to enlist in the Union army and does so by enlisting into the 71st. Pa. Inf. Co. A, on April 16, 1864 in Philadelphia well into the war. Research efforts at this time has not uncovered why Ambrose was in Philadelphia. He was noted as being aged 32; he was 5 feet 6 and half inches tall with dark hair and grey eyes. He had been born in New Berlin, New York and his occupation had been a clerk. Because of the transition going on between the 71st and the 69th in 1864 as the war was winding down, he was like many others transferred to the 69th Pa. He was transferred on June 12, 1864 some two months after he joined the 71st. He would appear to have impressed the officers of the 69th and was promoted sergeant on Dec 1864 after the Hatchers Run engagement. He went on to serve through the Appomattox campaign. With the Civil War over in 1865, Ambrose mustered out July 1, 1865 at Balls Cross Road VA. He is again a free man and already divorced. Apparently, he soon headed back to Kentucky as The Lawrence County (KY) History Book records Ambrose Wilbur as a school teacher at the Gallop Methodist School after the Civil War and where he married a Magadelina "Maggie" Williamson, daughter of William “Billy” Williamson and Arvilla Evans. (See image to right). She was born 1847. Ambrose was approximately 38 years of age and she 26 on their wedding day November 28, 1868, an age gap of some 12 years. They were married by the Rev. James Williamson of Rock Castle, Lawrence Co., KY. They went on to have a family of nine. By 1873 he had become a minister. A ministers’ bond was issued to him in 1875 by The Commonwealth of Kentucky allowing him to perform marriage ceremonies. Also noted, he held the position of Postmaster at Stonehouse (later Georges Creek) by 1883. Ambrose also held the position of deputy clerk for G. F. Johnson, Clerk of Lawrence County Court, in 1880. Ambrose Wilbur like so many soldiers of the 69th Pa. had lived quite an interesting life. One wonders if his divorce had any bearing on his joining the army in 1864. Was it to get away from it all and start a new life perhaps? However not too long after his service ended he ended up back in Kentucky. Obviously a very talented man since family history records his musical abilities and that of his family. Also his daughter by his first marriage Clara Belle Wilbur was quite a successful actress and played parts in New York productions such as Peck’s Bad Boys on Broadway. On a lighter note one wonders how Ambrose fitted into Co F, a company with a substantial number of Irishmen commanded by Lieut. James Welsh. No doubt there would be many exchanges and banter between them about this guy from New York via Kentucky.

Burial party and relatives at Wilbur Cemetery Richardson Ky. April 15th. 1922
This small cemetery on hillside beside route 1690 and the railroad close to the Wilbur home.

Burial party and relatives at Wilbur Cemetery Richardson Ky. April 15th. 1922 This small cemetery on hillside beside route 1690 and the railroad close to the Wilbur home. The above is most interesting. Note the I.O.O.F. sashes worn by quite a few members of the burial party. Note the gentleman with strips of bag material wrapped around his ankles. This was simply to avoid soil getting into his boots and also to protect his trouser legs. He was obviously the gravedigger. This was common practice among European farmers right up to the 1950's. The I.O.O.F. was the Independent Organization of Odd Fellows, a fraternity espousing religious and political independence whose aim was to visit the sick, relieve the distressed, bury the dead and educate the orphan. Also known as the "Triple Line Fraternity" hence I suppose the three rows of symbols on both lapels of each sash. Sadly as now 2015 the small graveyard is in a very run down state and totally neglected.

From the Big Sandy News April 14th. 1922 which was a Thursday. He was buried the next day Friday April 15th.1922.

"Research for biographical sketch was done by Donna Stepp Cox. Photos and miscellaneous documents such as Bible records, military pension file, Minister's Bond, etc. were shared by following Wilbur descendants: Tim Wilbur, Pat Rutherford, Glenda Childers, Steve & Jennifer Wilbur, and Virginia Dibacco."
With thanks to The Big Sandy News for copy of bereavement notice April 15th. 1922.

Sergt. William Edgar Jeffries Co. D. 71st. Pa. Inf. and Co. D. 69th Pa. Inf.

Born July 9th. 1819 Philadelphia. Died 10th Feb. 1895 Bristol Pa.

Most accounts of the Civil War and indeed wars in general moslty focus on the "active" participants eg the infantry soldiers and their officers and little is ever recorded about the back up services that are needed to keep an army on the march eg logistics transportation etc it's as if they do not exist. However their services are essential for an army to march, fight and move from battlefield to battlefield. In William Jeffries we have a very good example of such a soldier. Let us look at his life. Willaim Edgar Jeffries was born in Philadelphia 9th July 1819 the son of an English father Robert Jeffries and Isabella Edgar from Ireland. Born in 1819 by the year he enlisted in 1861 in the 71st Pa. Infantry he was already aged 42 generally much older than the recruitment age for the regiment. He was obviously not being recruited for potential front line service but chosen because he brought particular skills that could be used by the regiment. Perhaps his enlistment papers throw some light on the service he could give aged 41 to the regiment. He stated on his enlistment papers that he was a rope maker. He would be seen as a man that the army could use in their transportation section. That he would be at home working with ropes,wagons,and horses widely used in the Civil War. This trade was his forte, he was a man that suited their needs.
At the outbreak of the war William was already married. He had married aged 23 a Phoebe Haines on 13th Jan 1842 in Philadelphia. Their first son Andrew Jackson Jeffries aged 18 also joined the army and served and survived the war having served in Co. D of the 196th Regt. It would appear that this family was very patriotic and took the cause of the Union to heart. In his enlistment papers Willaim was described as being 5ft 8ins tall and of dark complexion.
William spent his time in the army as regimental wagon master and regimental transportation master a very important position. For his efforts he was promoted Sergt. after the battle of Petersburg.
William survived the war as did his son Andrew, and moving to Bristol Pa became an successful business man and property owner. He died in Bristol Pa. 19th Feb. 1895. He is buried in the local cemetery along with his wife and son Andrew and his wife.
William is shown as being in the 71st.Pa until June 12th 1864 when he was transferred to Co. D of the 69th Pa. Many of the 71st were transferred to the 69th Pa around this date the 71st was being run down as the turn of the tide of the war was kicking in and co-incidentally many of the 71st soldiers were nearing their muster out date. Whether he actually served within the 69th as an active soldier we do not know for sure but he along with many others also transferred to the 69th. some being "paper transfers" though some did actually carry out active service.

With thanks to Olive Cochran Leckbee family descendant.

Private Leonard Syler (Leonhardt Sailer) Co. E. 71st. Pa. Inf. & Co. A. 69th Pa. Inf.

Born Hermaringen Wuerttenberg Germany Sept. 21st. 1834. Died S. Chicago Ill. Aug. 11th. 1916

It is a wonderful experience to do research on the men who had enlisted in the 69th. or 71st. Pa. and from time to time turn up new information on them and perhaps be contacted by a descendant relative and perhaps exchange information with them. I often look at the scores of names on the data bases of the various companies in the regiments and wonder who these men were. On some there is information and even contact with descendant relatives. Generally however the names are just names of young men who fought the good fight, perhaps died young or survived and faded into oblivion after the Civil War. Of the immigrant soldiers few would ever return to their homeland. As can be seen most information on the website is on soldiers Irish born or with links to Ireland. However in Leonard Syler we have information on a young German born soldier. One wonders just how he fitted into a Company with numerous young men from mainly the rural northen Irish counties of Tyrone and Derry and Donegal. How did they interact and exist together. It would have been interesting to listen to Leonard with perhaps his limited English communicate with men from S. Derry with their soft lilt, an English heavily influenced by their Scots plantation settler neighbours back home. However as Leonard had already been in the 71st. and many men in the regiment were Irishmen some as well from the southern counties of Ireland he would no doubt have been able to understand their various dialects. He no doubt worked with many Irishmen in his pre war employment. A very mixed grouping certainly having very different views on life. Let us look at what information we have on Leonard. Leonhardt Sailer was born in the small town of Hermaringen in the district of Jagstkreis in the German state of Wuerttemburg. Harmaringen is in the Heidenheim district (The image to the right is of Harmaringen from the N.E. 1999). It has as now a population of about 2,500. So it would be fair to say that back in the 1850's it would really only be a small rural village of about 600. Prior to 1924 Wuerttemberg was itself divided into four areas. The Jagstkreis area was in the northeast of the state. After WW2 the adjacent small Prussian state of Hohenzollern was combined with Wuerttemberg and both named as Baden-Wuerttemberg. This new state is bordered by France on the west, Switzerland to the south and the German state of Bayren to the east. The capital city being Stuttgart. Hermaringen is slightly to the south east of Stuttgart and north east of Ulm.
Leonhard or Leonhardt Sailer was born Sept. 21st. 1834 to Gorg Sailer and Anna Elisabetha Schanzer. He was the eldest of three boys. Johannes Sailer born 4th. Sept. 1827 died 18th. Aug. 1863 aged just 36, Frederich Adam Sailer born 31st. March 1833 and died young 10th. April 1833 after living just 10 days. All were baptised the day after birth. The area Leonard grew up in would have been a very rural one so one can only surmise that his people were small farmers. traders or artisans. Like the countless thousands of Europeans who wanted a better life together with a group of friends perhaps he looked west to the opening up United States. Germany in the early and mid 19th century was a very unsettled place with much political and religious unrest and with these factors comes economic problems, a typical scenario for people to look elsewhere for a better and more settled environment. I feel this was the background for Leonhart's emigration.
Leonhart emigrated probably circa sometime in 1854 on the ship Corinthia to New York and arrived probably at Castle Clinton on Lower Manhatten island. He would have been aged 20. The Castle Clinton area had been built as a fort to protect New York against British invasion in 1812. Later it became a theatre area and was later used as an immigration station 1855-1890 until Ellis Island was opened in 1895. Leonard probably sailed to America from either the port of Bremen or Hamburg on the north German coast. More likely Bremen. Looking at the name Sailer on emigrate lists emigrants with this name from Wurttenberg mainly emigrated to America but some also to Australia and a few east to Russia. The majority of the Irishmen he would come across in the 71st. and 69th. were fleeing the Irish famines of the mid 19th. century.
On arrival in America Leonard found his way to Lebanon Co. Pa. probably to live initially with family or friends from an earlier emigration. I would imagine his command of English was poor and it was an immediate requirement for him to learn English. Going to relatives or friends initially was common practice at the time and indeed for any young immigrant it was a place to get a foot hold. He probably found employment in some of the steel mills initially as a labourer, then as a puddler, (a person who I believe removed the coke and cinder deposits floating on the moulten metal at the furnace) and then be promoted to the very important post of "water tender". This job would be known in Europe as a "boilerman" a man who monitors the water feed to the boilers on the plant and other pumps and equipment in a boilerhouse, a job of some importance. He worked at the Youngstown Sheet and Tool Co. Later in life in Chicago Ill he held down this same job. A few years after arriving Leonard met and married Catherine "Kate" Yingst from Schaefferstown Pa. They married on May 19th. 1856 in Bellevue Pa. now Bellegrove just north of Annville Pa. They were married by the Rev. Yuengling most likely in a Lutheran ceremony Leonard being of the Lutheran faith. They immediately start a family. The children born at North Annville Township Lebanon Co. Pa. prior to the Civil War were.
Lydia born 20th. Dec. 1859 a very nice Christmas present!.
John H. born 22nd. Sept. 1861 just as the Civil War moved into more serious confrontation. He lived until 4th. March 1911 when killed in an accident aged 49. He had married Mary Pultz of Chicago.
Leonard was not at this stage involved in the war in any way. That would soon change.
Leonard (Junior) was born 29th. March 1863 just as the war raced towards the confrontation at Gettysburg. Leonadr (Jnr) lived until Oct. 27th. 1955. He had married Matilda Scheurmeir (1867-1916).
Things would soon change for Leonard (Senior). The family living in N. Annville township were in what was serious "Civil War" country. Harrisburg was about 30 miles to his west, Philadelphia about 80 miles to the east and Gettysburg to the S.W. at about 60 miles. Pottsville where he worked was not to far to his north. As the war dragged on there would be fewer volunteering to fight. The dreaded word "draft" would soon appear. Leonard could have avoided being drafted by simply melting away or perhaps paying someone $300 dollars to take his place.
18th Aug. 1863.
Leonard would soon receive very bad news from Germany. His older brother Johannes died in Germany on this date. No doubt a dreadful time for him and his family. However appearing to be a man of principle and wanting to give something back to his new country he decided to enlist. This he did on 26th. Sept. 1863 at Pottsville Pa. into Co. C of the 71st. Pa. Vols. the initially christened the 1st. California Regiment raised by Sen. Baker of California. Leonard was noted as being 5ft. 7ins. tall, about 150 lbs. weight, grey eyes, light coloured hair and fair complexion. He would be involved in all the engagements the 71st. took part in after he joined them in Sept. 1863. These were.
Oct. 9th. until 22nd. 1863. The Bristoe Campaign.
Nov. 7th. until 18th. 1863. The advance to the line of the Rappahannock.
Nov. 26th. until Dec. 2nd. 1863. The Mine Run Campaign.
Nov. 27th. 1863. Engagement at Robertsons Tavern or Locust Grove.
Dec. 1863 until May 1864. On duty on the Rapidan.
May 4th. 1864 until June 12th. 1864. The Rapidan Campaign.
May 5th. until May 7th. 1864. The battle of The Wilderness.
May 8th. Engagement at Laurel Hill.
May 8th. 1864 until May 12th. 1864. The battle of Spotsylvania.
May 10th. Battle of Po River.
May 12th. until May 21st. The battle of Spostylvania Court House.
May 12th. 1864. The assault on the Salient.
May 23rd. until May 26th. 1864. The battle of N. Anna River.
May 26th. until May 28th. 1864. On the Pamunkey line.
May 28th. until May 31st. 1864. The battle of Totopotomoy.
However at the battle at Cold Harbour Va. June 1st-12th. 1864 James was struck by fragments of shellfire on his left leg between knee and ankle and also had his right arm broken on June 4th.1864.
After recovery Leonard in a subsequent battle at Reams Station Va. on Aug. 25th. 1864 was captured along with many of the men of the 69th. Pa. in which he now serving. The remaining members of the 71st. Pa. both veterans and recruits had been transferred from the 71st. Pa. to the 69th. Pa. on June 12th. 1864. Leonard had to finish off his three period of enlistment. After being captured Leonard Syler was transferred to Belle Isle prison in Richmond Va. and held there from Aug. 27th. 1864. He is incarcerated there until Oct. 8th. 1864 when a prisoner exchange deal took place at Varinia Va. and the exchange arranged for Oct. 10th. 1864 at Camp Parole Md. However Leonard seems to have upset the authorities by some perceived misconduct and as a punishment he is not released until Oct. 21st. 1864. However all ended well and he was granted a furlough of 14 days from Oct. 31st. 1864 until Nov. 15th. 1864.
After his furlough Leonard Syler rejoined his old comrades and took part in all the operations of the 69th. Pa. until the end of the war in mid 1865.
However as the war drew to an end Leonard found time to attend the Grand Review in Wash. D. C. on May 23rd-24th 1865. For extra information on this event click on icon below.

Leonard Syler and his wife Catherine circa 1915.
Image courtesy Bonnie Syler descendant relative.

July 1st. 1865.
Leonard Syler mustered out at Munsons Hill Va. with thousands of others. His Civil War over but its memories and injuries inherited. He had last been paid Dec. 31st. 1864. He was due $39 in clothes allowance, the government claimed back $6 for arms and equipment. He also got his $100 bonus and headed home to North Annville Pa. to his wife and children Lydia, John and Leonard (Jnr). Time to settle down again and extend the family. He did so and,
18th. Dec. 1868. George Syler his son was born.
10th. May 10th 1870. Samuel Syler another son was born. He later married Augusta Brinker 1875-1938. Samuel died 4th. July 1940 in Chicago. Augusta his wife was born Chicago 12th. Aug. 1875 and died there 15th April 1938.
10th. March 1875 Katherine Syler his first daughter was born.
10th Dec. 187. Annie Syler his 2nd daughter born.
Feb. 1879.
Leonard and his family moved from North Annville Pa. to Coldhour on what is now east Chicago Ill. He would appear to have got employment with the Iriquois Iron Co. However it is known that in 1880 he and all his family went to a cousins farm in Kansas to help him harvest his crops. They would then appear to have returned to Coldhour and Leonard settled into his long term employment. I kind of think that this re enforces a possibility he wanted to relive his young boyhood days growing up in rural Germany.
14th. June 1883. Minnie Syler his third daughter was born
30th. of Nov. 1889
Leonard aged 55 applies in "Declaration for Original Invalid Pension" form in which he gives all the relevant details of his service, war wounds, hospitalisation and that he is living in Coldhour in Cook Co. Ill. but had lived previously in Lebanon Co. Pa. In his application form he states the facts that he had suffered a broken arm and had contracted rheumatism due to his service in the army. He stated that he had been hospitalised at White House Landing Va. on the the 4th. June 1864, the day after he received his injuries. Thence he was transferred to hospital at Wash. D. C. and after this to hospital in Baltimore and again had treatment from about June 15th. 1886 to the latter part of July 1886. This was two years after the war ended. It would appear he never really recovered properly from his wounds. In his occupation claim sheet the writing seems to state he was a labourer-furnaceman at that time. His application is signed as witness by a John H. Syler. This looks like he has assumed his son could witness his application. This I should think was a very bad idea and the Pension office would see it in a very negative light. The application should have been signed not by a family member but a local attorney or someone not related to him but who knew Leonhard well eg his church pastor. This may well have been the cause of the long delay with the granting of his pension but we shall never know for sure. He at this stage signs his name as Leonhardt Syler but alas he had at the top of the application form had stated his name as Leonhardt Sailer. but alas he signed the document as Leonhardt Syler. This would cause problems for Leonard as the pension department back in Washington would see this as a way to delay payment. Interestingly Leonhardt states that he had been enrolled on Sept. 25th. 1863 into Co. A of the 69th. Pa. by Captain John McHugh no doubt a Derry man. Welcome aboard the 69th! He would get to talk to, live with and fight alongside a lot of Irishmen from counties across Ireland. This would be a regiment with a very different ethos from the 71st. It would have been interesting to eavesdrop on their conversations, Leonard with no doubt his "learned " Pa. English and the English of the guys from the Sperrin hills of Tyrone!!!.
May 28th. 1901.
In a letter dated May 28th. 1901 stamped Wash D.C. Pension Office U.S. specified as a "Declaration of Invalid Pension" and noted with the hand written comment at top of letter "Re-hearing" and an offical legal document of attestation by Edgar T. Gaddis of Wash. D. C. obviously employed by Leonard to act as his attorney in his pension application it is noted that the application is now in the name of Leonhardt Syler as opposed to Sailer. However believe it or not Leonardt again signs his name as Leonhardt Sailer. No doubt more delays back in Washington and still no pension it would appear.
21st June 1901.
A letter from the Department of the Interior in Wash D. C. requests Leonard to again state all his details, where he had lived, what he did, and the obligatory height, colour of eyes etc and if he carried any scars or permanent marks. The letter is noted as being addressed to Leonhardt Sailer Chicago and he is seen as signing his name as Leonhardt Sailer. The letter is witnessed by what appears to be Jacob Brunner and a James S. Ward. It is dated June 29th. 1901. Leonard is now 67 years of age.
Sept.6th. 1910.
John his son and John's son Herbert aged 17 were involved in a boiler explosion at their place of work. Herbert had been born Dec. 26th. 1893. Herbert was killed but John did not die until 4th March 1911. Others were killed and injured in the explosion. Ironic really as most boiler explosions in those days were caused by poor supervision of the water feed to the boilers ie the work of the "water tenders". This was a common problem with the technology that was available at the time. Now boiler water levels and water feed are monitored continously electronically but even now however good the electronic systems rarely would a boiler plant engineer not cast an eye on the water level gauges and steam pressures on his boilers from time to time. It must be realised that even to this day on all industrial plants requiring steam power eg the tyre industry boiler men have a very important role and apart from monitoring the water/steam system they are responsible for all the auxilary services supplying the factory. No doubt Leonard did the same.
26th Aug. 1914.
In a "Declaration for Pension" form from the Pension Dept. addressed to Leonhardt Syler would appear to eventually have received a pension. The document is stamped "Declaration accepted by a Claim Under the act of 1812. Chief Law Division". The pension number for Leonhardt was 1035.356. He was now 80 years old. Did it really take this long to get his pension?. The documents to hand seem to flag up most certainly the mis-spelling of his name caused him all sorts of problems and delays with his pension. It kind of looks as if he fell between two stools an acting attorney who paid little attention to detail on such things as noting name application and signatures on documents intentionally or otherwise and a Pension Dept in Wash. not too fussed at being efficient in communication especially if the soldiers reached an advanced age. Not the era of the phone or the Internet.
By the beginning of WW1 (1914-1918) the family were living on the south side of Chicago at 10631 Green Bay Ave. No doubt this war brought back memories to Leonard as his homeland was now becoming the enemy of his adopted country and American soldiers would go and fight along with the British their new "enemy" Germany in yet another European war.
11th Aug. 1914.
Nov. 22nd. 1915.
Catherine "Kate" Syler his wife died. No doubt a very sad day for Leonard.
Aug. 11th. 1916.
Leonard Syler dies. He had eventually got his pension and was last paid $27 dollars on July 4th. 1916.
It would appear that Leonard never did make it back home to Hermaringen. It is known that he never did apply to become an American citizen. It is also known that he was an accomplished carpenter and no doubt a man with man skills perhaps learnt back in Germany in his youth.
No doubt that in a graveyard in and around Hermaringen rests his parents and two brothers and many still alive in the village would be relatives.

Private Leonard Syler 69th. Pa and 71st Pa.
Born Wurttemberg Germany 21st. Sept. 1834. Died Aug. 11th 1916 Chicago Ill. Buried Oak Hill Cemetery Hammond. Lake Co. Ind.
Buried Lot 36 Block 6.
Sleep well soldier.......Schlafen Sie gut Soldaten.

Heroes are soon forgotten and no doubt as his family grew up and scattered and his wife passed on Leonard was forgotten about. No marker would appear to have been put over his grave. However this would all change some 95 years later when a descendant Bonnie Syler started looking at her family tree and discovered a Leonardt Sailer a Civil War soldier was indeed her Gt. grandfather. With determination she ensured that a marker was put on his grave and the powers that be in Hammond and in the State of Ind. were made aware of his service.
Leonard Syler was honoured by a ceremony at his grave on 21st. April 2006 in which many dignatories and many descendant Sailers from all over the United States took part and also the local re-enactment unit. A flag that had flown over the White House was presented to her. There was much interest by local radio and T.V. companies which ran the story. A video DVD was also made of the ceremony.

The 71st Pa. Vols. Regiment Monument at Gettysburg.

Leonard (Jnr) changed his name to Seiler in 1920. He had married Maltilda Scheurmeir (1867-1916). He died in Chicago 27th. Oct. 1955. I find it interesting that he changed his name from Syler to Seiler. I have found in my research into family trees many similar examples. There are many reasons for this especially here in Europe but one comment I would make is that Leonard (Jnr) growing up probably heard a lot from his father about his name and the why he had to or chose to change it. Did his father change it to make it sound more acceptable Anglo rooted name or was he advised to do so. From what I see in his papers he would appear to have the inherent spelling of the German spelling Sailer in his psyche. Perhaps Leonard (Jnr) wanted to get his surname back to what he perceived was the original German spelling but did not have enough knowledge or documentation at hand. Or was it perhaps better to change it because it sounded too German as Syler as there had in recent past years been confrontation with Germany. A reason no doubt but difficult to find out. However we know this is a specific known name change just like the Irish surnames all other surnames would be subject to variation due to the men who enlisted were in many cases unable to spell their names, it was simply a sound in their head. This coupled with recruiting sergeants writing down what they thought they heard as the soldier's name etc etc. led to numerous variant spellings.
And what of Katherine, Annie and Minnie? Little seems to be known about what happened to them?
It is seen that in the 71st. Pa a William Yeinst joined enlisted on the same day as Leonard Syler. Both enlist at Pottsvi lle for three years. Both state links to Annville. One wonders if he was possibly a brother of Catherine Yeinst. Both survived the war and mustered out at Munsons Hill Va. on the same date. Do you know any links?. Would like to hear from you if so. Thanks.
The surname Sailer as far as I can determine seems to mean a person associated with sailing but more likely a person who is involved in rope making or perhaps sail making, rope making being the more likely. The name has many spelling variants eg Sailer, Syler, Sailor, etc,
The name Sailar is very common in the town of Hermaringen as will be seen from looking up the German on Line phone book and also the Family History Search site of the Church of the Latter Day Saints. For anyone related to Leonhard the Ref. is Index Project C9266-1 Source Film No. 1340168.

Thanks to Bonnie Syler for sharing her information. Much appreciated.
Thanks to the Church of the Latter Day Saints for records access.
Thanks To Steve Hawks of Stonesentinels for image of 71st. Pa. Monument

Private John E. Clopp M.O.H. Co. F. 71st. Pa. Inf. & Co. B. 69th Pa. Inf.

Born Philadelphia Pa.1845 died Philadelpia 6.4.1866.

Not a lot is known about John Clopp's early life. Even the Pa. Civil War index card system does not seem to have any records of his enrollment or muster in. What we know is that he was a native of Philadelphia. He joined the 71st Pa. Co. F. At Gettysburg he was in the thick of the fighting and on the 3rd of July 1863 captured the flag of the 9th Virginia Infantry CSA wrestling it from the colour bearer. This earner him his Medal of Honour.
The next thing we see on his records is that he was 23 when he transferred to the 69th Pa. He re-enlisted on the 25. 2. 1864 at Stevensburg Va. persumably into the 71st again. However on 12.6.1864 he was transferred from Co. F of the 71st to Co. B of the 69th. Pa. Little is known of his service in the 69th as now but what we do know that on the 24.3.1865 he was given a S.C.of Discharge. It would appear that between June 1864 and March 1865 his health failed very badly due to phthisis (pulmonary tuberculosis), and he died 6. 4. 1866 about a year after his discharge. He was initially buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Philadelphia but when that cemetery was closed in the 1950's his remains were removed to the Lawnview Cemetery Rockledge Mont. Co. Pa. Greenwood section, Row 50.Grave 35.

Pvt. John E Clopp M.O.H.

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pleasure in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR to
John E. Clopp Army.
For service as set forth in the following:
CITATION: For The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Private John E. Clopp, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 3 July 1863, while serving with Company F, 71st Pennsylvania Infantry, in action at Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, for capture of flag of 9th Virginia Infantry (Confederate States of America), wresting it from the Color Bearer.

Lieut. Alexander Lovett Co. E. 69th. Pa. Inf.

Born Co. Tyrone Ireland c. 1832. Died Philadelphia March 19th 1887.

This soldier though he did not have a very long term of active service in the 69th. Pa. did have some interesting experiences in his relatively short lifespan. Alexander Lovett was born in Co. Tyrone circa 1832 to parents John Lovett and wife Isabella. He had several other siblings. At some stage probably in mid 19th century famine times the family headed for America probably via the port of Derry to Philadelphia. Research at this stage seems, based on name clusters and religious clusters that they were from the Omagh area of Co. Tyrone.
We do not know much about his early life in America but the fact that he was later able to enlist as a Lieut suggests he was quite well educated. One early census states that he was a haul keeper. Others with the same surname are listed as boat men persumably working on boats distributing goods from the docks along the Delaware and Schuylkill rivers or perhaps on barges on the canals in that part of Pennsylvania. So I would assume a haul keeper was some sort of clerk associated with this traffic.
It is interesting to read an entry from the Phil. Inquiry Friday April 19th 1861 stating that Alexander Lovett was involved with two others C.C. Connley and Chas. G. Wrath in endeavouring to set up a regiment to be called the Pennsylvanian Defenders. In early April 1861 there would be great agitation amongst the Irish inhabitants in Philadelphia as their society was under pressure from others from the earlier influx of immigrants of different religion and backgrounds. They at this stage had started to form up small militias to protect their various city areas. They also had to look at the bigger picture and their option was to throw their lot in with the Union forces and if there were Irish regiments around to join them. One in particular coming to mind would be the 69th New York Regt. which had a very Irish ethos and many Irish officers in its senior ranks. The other choice was to set up their own regiment. This eventually happened as the 69th Pa evolved. The article to the left really confirms that a young Alexander Lovett was a political activist by 1861. Let us look at his progress.

1860 United States Federal census.
Alexander Lovett (the 69th soldier) is listed as being aged 27
Wife Ellen Jane aged 20 (we do not as now know her maiden name but she was a native of Philadelphia), they have a son Charles aged 1 born 1859.
So it would be reasonable to suggest they had married 1857-58 just before the Civil War. They are living in Ward 9 of Philadelphia along with his parents John Lovett aged 69 and wife Isabella aged 58. Also a Benjamin Lovett aged 20 is named. Probably a brother to Alexander. Others named in the household Foley, Durr, Goughan and Ryan.
5th Jan 1861 Alexander Lovett enlisted as 2nd Lieut. rank in Co. K of the 24th. Regt. Pa Infantry and commissioned as an officer on May 1st 1861. We do not know what happened to his endeavours to set up the "Pennsylvania Defenders" (I would imaging this idea soon fell through as more formal regimental systems were set up). He is a man of average size and height about 5ft 7ins at about 150 lbs. with light brown hair and hazel eyes.
May 9th. 1861. A second son Alexander B. Lovett is born in Pa. Probably Philadelphia.
10th Aug 1861 Alexander Lovett mustered out of the 24th Regt. at Philadelphia.
19th Aug 1861 Alexander Lovett musters into the the 69th Pa Co. E as 1st lieut. His Civil war service would commence. Let us see if we can get a snapshot of his future service and life.
June 30th 1862
Alexander Lovett now in active service since Aug 1861 with the 69th Pa. in the confrontation at Glendale Alexander was hit by shell fragment. The Philadelphia Inquirer of July 9th. 1862 states that he was hit in the shoulder at the battle of White Oak Swamp. He is serving in Co. A. In a medical review of Feb 8th. 1867 the surgeons report states the gravity of the damage to Lovetts body in the scapula and lung area and damage done to his lungs. Other bodily damage was buckshot wounds to his left leg and developing gangrene. However it was the initial damage to his left arm and lung that left life long problems He was hospitalised in Fort McHenry Baltimore until early 1863.
April 9th 1863.
Lovett is discharged from the Army on this date on Surgeons Certificate.
However he does seem to have made some kind of recovery and was able to be out and about the following newspaper item is noted. Perhaps mobile but still unfit for active service.

Union County Star and Lewisburg Chronicle, Friday, Sept 11, 1863
An Incident: An article about Lieut Lovett The Union Meeting at Northumberland, last Saturday, was continued until evening, when Mr Van Gezer addressed a largely increased audience. A fine supper was then served the Provost Guard of Sunbury, by patriotic ladies of the vicinity. After the repast, a call was made for Lieut. Lovett a good humored, fine looking Irishman who appealed for the support of Curtin in this trying hour; denounced sympathizers with treason as having "heads" not exactly of gold; and concluded about as follows: "Some of ye are pretending to wonder why we soldiers are stationed in Northumberland County. I'll tell yez. Ah! ye know some of yez said ye would resist the Draft, that ye'd sooner die, fighting, at home, than in the army and the Governmet is now giving ye that opportunity." The rich accents, and the frank earnestness, of the Lieut, caused him to be rapturously applauded but, thus far, we hear of no one "listing" to be a "martyr" against the Government in Northumberland County in fact, that game was pretty much "played out' by the Copperhead Riot in New York. The Company (like most soldiers) is said to be anxious for Curtins re-election.

Note. It is interesting to see that the writer of this article has focussed in on the fact that Lovett was Irish and more importantly on how he spoke English and and how his grammar was structured, very much Tyrone "speak" as still very similar to this day. However the most interesting fact is that he was still using the grammer, sound and structure that he would have picked up at home. He obviously did not emigrate in the 1830's but most certainly much later when he grammar etc had formed up. Perhaps more likely the family were mid 1840's famine emigrants.

March 7th 1864. Lovett did not make a good enough recovery from his Glendale wounds and turned to VRC enlistment. He was forced to resign his commission in the 69th. Alexander was transferred to the VRC on this date. He is given the rank of 1st Lieut. in 14th Co. 2nd Batt.
March 1864. A daughter Abigail (Abbey) is born in the Wash. D.C area. It looks like he is serving in that area in the VRC. It would be fair to assume that his family were with him in the Wash D.C area having left Philadelphia.
April 14th 1865.
President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated on this date at Fords Theatre Wash D.C. He did not see the end of the war which ended some 5 days later when General Robert E Lee surrendered at Appommatox Court House Va. Lincoln had been shot by J. W. Booth who was medically attended to by Dr. Mudd after Booth had been badly wounded. Lovett and Dr Mudds paths would soon cross.
Almost immediately after Lincols assassination the manhunt for his killer was instigated by the government. A very high profile team was set up and included the following.
General Layfayette C. Baker perhaps the highest ranking officer in the military intelligence and spy chief for the Union Army.
Lieut Col. Everton C. Conger
Lieut. Luther B. Baker.
Major James R. O'Beirne
General H. H. Wells.
Lieut. George Cottingham.(Acting as detective).
Lieut. Alexander Lovett. (Acting as detective).
Samuel H. Beckwith. Telegraph Operator.
Lieut. Edward P. Doherty 16th New York Cavalry.
26 Privates of the 16th New York Cavalry.

Note: Some $75,000 dollars was allocated for this task and each member was to awarded proportionately. General Baker $17,500 and each of the cavalry men to get $1,000 each. As a matter of interest Alexander Lovett allocated $1,000.

In order to be part of this group Lovett would have to get himself stationed in the Wash D.C. area which we know he did. He would like many of the others be able to travel around on horse back. As to the circumtances that led Alexander Lovett getting attached to this very high powered investigative group I do not know as now. He was however involved in the apprehension of Dr. Mudd and gave evidence at the trial of Mudd. Here is a sample of his testament
16th May 1865:
Testimony of Lt. Lovett and Others
Lieutenant Alexander Lovett for the prosecution - May 16
"On the day after the assassination of the President, I went with others in pursuit of the murderers. We went by way of Surrattsville to the house of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, which is about thirty miles from Washington, and about one-quarter of a mile or so off the road that runs from Bryantown, arriving there on Tuesday, the 18th of April. Dr. Mudd, whom I recognize among the accused, did not at first seemed inclined to give us any satisfaction; afterward he went on to state that on Saturday morning, at daybreak, two strangers had come to his place; one of them rapped at the door, the other remained on his horse. Mudd went down and opened the door, and with the aid of the young man who had knocked at the door helped the other, who had his leg broken, off his horse, took him into the house and set his leg. On asking him who the man with the broken leg was, he said he did not know; he was a stranger to him. The other, he said, was a young man, about seventeen or eighteen years of age. Mudd said that one of them called for a razor, which he furnished, together with soap and water, and the wounded man shaved off his moustache. One of our men remarked that this was suspicious, and Dr. Mudd said it did look suspicious. I last him if he had any other beard. He said, “Yes, he had a long pair of whiskers.” He said the men remained there but for a short time, and I understood him that they left in the course of the morning. He said that the wounded man went off on crutches that he (Mudd) had had made for him. He said the other led the horse of the injured man, and he (Mudd) showed them the way across the swamp. He told me that he had heard, at church, on Sunday morning, that the President had been assassinated, but did not mention by whom. We were at his house probably an hour, and to the last he represented that those men were entire strangers to him. It was generally understood at this time that Booth was the man who assassinated the President; even the darkeys knew it; and I was told by them that Booth had been there, and that he had his leg broken. On Friday, the 21st of April, I went to Dr. Mudd’s again, for the purpose of arresting him. When he found we were going to search the house, he said something to his wife, and she went up stairs and brought down a boot. Mudd said he had cut it off the man’s leg, in order to set the leg. I turned down the top of the boot and saw the name “J. Wilkes” written in it. I called Mudd’s attention to it, and he said he had not taken notice of it before. Some of the men said the name of Booth was scratched out, but I said that the name of Booth had never been written".
[A long riding boot, for the left foot, slit up in front for about eight inches, was exhibited to the witness.}
"That is the boot."

Year 1866.
I will leave the reader if they so wish follow up any other material on this trial. This webpage is primarily about Alexander's life.
Moving on we find that Alexander Lovett would appear to have remained in the VRC for some time and stay engaged in detective work associated with the military. In 1866 the year after the closing of hostilities we find him as a member of a court martial team on Aug. 14th in Raleigh N. Carolina. The team consisted of Gen. T. H. Ruger of Wisconsin, Col. John Mansfield of Wisconsin, Col. E. L. Allen of Washington, D.C. Colwell, William Beebe of Ohio, Major Clark of Rhode Island, Lieut, H.T. Jackson of New York, Capt. J. H.Watrous of New York as Judge Advocate. (See image to left).
Also in 1866 Alexander Lovett and his wife Ellen had a daughter Isabell born to them this time in Virginia. Lovetts service in the VRC seems to have ended in 1866 when the family returned to Philadelphia.
By 1868 the family now back in Philadelphia they have a son Harry born there in this year.
Year 1870.
This year would seem to see a major change in Alexander Lovetts life. In the 1870 census we find. Alexander Lovett born c 1832 in Ireland aged 38. From Ireland. However he now gives his occupation as a police officer. Hardly the profession of a man who was carrying such severe Civil War wounds. One surgeon stated that one of his injuries was "permanent paralysis" of his left arm and another government employee recorded Lovett as being "incapable of earning his subsistence by manual labour".
His family are listed as:
Ellen Lovett aged 31 born Pa.
Charles Lovett aged 11 years born Pa.
Alexander Lovett aged 9 years born Pa.
Abbey Lovett aged 6 years born D.C.
Isabell Lovett aged 4 years. Born Virginia.
Harry Lovett aged 2 born in Pa.
June 24th 1870
Here is an entry from The Evening Telegraph Philadelphia, PA, June 24, 1870,
Fight With Burglars.
A policeman stabbed. At 8 o'clock this morning Policeman Lovett, of the Sixth district, while at Tenth and Market Streets, noticed five men who were acting in a suspicious manner. After manoeuvring around the corner some minutes, two of them went up on the east side of Tenth Street to the tailer shop of Thomas Lyons, No. 11, where they stopped and commenced pulling away at the iron gating. Lovett then made his appearance and necked both of the would-be burglars. They resisted him, and after a struggle succeeded in getting him to the pavement, where they not only beat him but cut him with a chisel. They then fled. He arose to his feet and discharged three barrels of his revolver after them, but failed in hitting either. They succeeded in escaping.
16th Jan. 1872.
Alexander Lovetts life would have a major change. His wife Ellen died from smallpox. Leaving him to cope with a young family. She was noted as living at 2408 Manning St. She was buried the Old Cathedral Catholic Cemetery in Philadelphia 17th Jan. 1872.
We do not know exactly when or why Lovett left the police force but in some documentatio he is noted as being associated with "livery" (I assume horse dealing or transport and in one case states he is a horse dealer). By 1876 instead of horse dealer he is listed as being a veterinarin or veterinary surgeon.
Aug 18th 1874.
Alexander Lovett re-marries. This time to Minerva Dorsheimer of Philadelphia. He was 36 and she about 20.
June 2nd 1875.
Lewis Lovett their first child was born. This was followed by Minerva in 1877 and Nellie in 1879.
1880 Federal United States Census
It would appear that by 1880 Alexander and Minerva have moved house and now living with his brother John Lovett in Parrish St. South Side Philadelphia. The census shows the following people at the premises.
John Lovett aged 52 a veterinarian aged 52. (This was Alexander H. Lovetts brother)
Alexander H. Lovett aged 45 also a veterinarian aged 45 (obviously our ex soldier and policeman).
Minerva Lovett (Dorsheimer)
Abigail Lovett aged 16.
Henry Lovett aged 12 (Harry)
Lewis Lovett aged 5
Minerva Lovett aged 3.
Nellie Lovett aged 1.
Louis (Lewis) Dorsheimer aged 20 Minervas brother.
Servant girl Mary O'Brien.

It will be seen that Lewis, Minerva and Nellie are children from his 2nd marriage to Minerva. Note also that Charles and Alexander and Isabeal are no longer listed in the 1880 census. Charles would have been aged 21 in 1880 census and probably have moved on. Alexander would have been aged 19 and he probably would have moved out. Henry (Harry) and Abigail (Abbey) are also listed in the 1880 census but no sign of Isabeal. Did she also contract smallpox that killed her mother? Unknown.
It would appear that some time Alexander decided to give up his police career and take up being a veterinarian. He is listed in the Philadelphia city directory as living at 830 N. Broad St. in 1879 and 1880, then in 1881 at 1401 Parrish, then in 1882, 1883, 1884, 1885 at 830 N. Broad St. then in 1886 and 1887 at 834 N. Broad St. where he died and from where his funeral took place in this year.
Note; A last child a son Walton Lovett was born April 6th 1881.
His obituary notice from the Philadelphia Record March 23rd 1887 has some rather noticable information. His Return of Death notice states his name as Dr. Alexander H. Lovette. We now know that he is now noted as being Dr. Alexander H. Lovette V.S. a doctor and a Veterinery surgeon hence V.S. How could this be? It is seen that Alexander Lovett had four known trades or professions. He probably started life as so many of the Irish immigrants did in Philadelphia as a labourer. It would then appear he worked on the river boats. To do this job he would have had to have had some basic education in maths, reading and writing and basic note and report writing. This would enable him to get an officers job in the army and later in the police service. However his main profession in his middle years was that of a veterinarian. This would be a departure from the general run of the mill employments in the Philly of that period. However then as now a veterinarian is seen to be a profession that required quite a few years medical training. America at the end of the Civil War had perhaps some 6 or 7 million horses. The use of horses was massive for personal transport, pulling street trams and mobility for the cavalry units. Animals like people have all sorts of frailties and suffered similar diseases. Thus there was the massive need for people with associated medical knowledge to look after these animals. However overall there were less than 800 "trained" vets in the States. Vets from Europe were starting to come into America with their improved skills. So what happened then was people who were "self trained" became the vets of the time. Perhaps even learning from someone who had learned the "trade" by rote. We know that Alexander's brother John was also noted as being a veterinarian so it kind of looks that Alexander and he got together and had probably a quite lucrative business both treating animals , primarily horses and at the same time engaged in a horse trading business. To be a competent vet when the appropriate systems and colleges were put in place (and this did not really get sorted until after WW2) took several years of intensive schooling. In Europe it is as now a 5 or 6 years course at university and associated animal medical training facilities. In truth it would appear the "vets" in the Philadelphia of the era were in many cases smart guys who spotted a niche in the market and who knows maybe did learn by wrote and who maybe became good at sorting simple repetitive problems. However I feel flagging up as being a doctor and a veterinarian surgeon was kind of guilding the lily. However lets not forget this was poor Irish emigrant who I suppose dreamt the American dream and tried to attain it.
Friday March 19th 1887.
Again tragedy strikes the family. Alexander Lovett aged 55 dies from typo-pneumonia in Philadelphia. He died at his office at 834 N. Broad St. at 7.30. PM on this date. He leaves Minerva with a young family to support. He was buried in The New Cathedral Cemetery in Philadelphia, in plot X-12-3 on the 23rd March four days later. He is buried in an individual grave. No headstone or marker was ever erected over his grave. He was buried after a requiem Mass at the Church of the Assumption in Philadelphia. He obviously stayed Catholic but not so his 2nd wife Minerva who later chose to be buried in the Odd Fellows cemetery probably in her Protestant faith.
The family would appear to have changed home quite frequently. The last real home would appear to be at 866 Perkiomon St.
May 12th 1887.
The contents of this row house at 866 Perkimon St was inventoried and came to $283.65 dollars. His horses wagons and associated trade articles came to approx. an extra $678.96. His total estate worth was listed as being $1762.61. In the inventories there is no mention of any veterinary tools or medicines. Perhaps his brother was the one who started the business in the first place and after being a policeman Alexander joined him in the business. I think this is a likely scenario. Lovett had long term health problems related his war wounds and these were flagged up in his pension applications. Recovery from typho-pneumonia was unlikely. Minerva ended up with a pension of some $17 dollars per month and $2 dollars per month for each child under age 16. She filed for and got this pension in 1888 and vacated 866 Perkimon St. the same year.
In the 1888 city directory Minerva is listed as a widow and living at 866 Perkioman St. This would have been a classic Philadelphia row frame house. The house still on the site is of brick build. It is my opinion that the Lovetts made it up from famine Irish poor to near middle class in Philadeplhia but never really were able to gain much more and still be very vunerable in the economics of the era. For whatever reason the letter H was added to his name at a time. It would appear that his 2nd wife Minerva had the full name Minerva H Dorsheimer and either she insisted that he use this or he uses it to flag up some difference social or religious. Now Minerva would not be of the Catholic faith and I kind of wonder if Alexander was trying to re-invent or "hide" his Irish Catholic roots. I have no proof but there is a reason of some sort. It is likely that Minerva was from German stock and possibly the Lutheran faith.
25th. Jan. 1907
Minerva H Lovett Alexander's widow died in Philadelphia. On her death record it is recorded she died from cancer. She was aged 51. Her birth place was Philadelphia. Her father named as Ferdinand S. Dorsheimer and her mother as Martha Kane, both born in Philadelphia. Minerva was buried in the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Philadelphia 29th Jan 1907. She is listed as living at 1729 N. 22nd St at the time. Here is her obituary notice. Notice that internemnt was private.

Like so many of the other men who served in the 69th. Pa. some served very short terms or had their young lives snuffed out in many cases their remains dumped in communal battlefield graves. Others survived and went back home and basically disappeared into the oblivion of life. Others left some history behind them. I suppose Alexander Lovett the young man from Co. Tyrone is one such man. He played his small part in American history and this should be remembered.
It is possible to take the man out of Tyrone but never the Tyrone out of the man!!....some of you will know what this means!

Lieut. Edward Paul Doherty 16th New York Cavalry.
Sadly I do not have a photo of Lieut Lovett of the 69th Pa but have one of Lieut Edward Paul Doherty one of the team charged to track down the killers of Pres. Lincoln. Edward P Doherty was the Canadian born son of a Joseph Doherty who lived in Castle St Sligo town Co. Sligo Ireland.Joseph emigrated to Canada about 1820 and married a Mary Toomey by whom he had a large family. The 2nd youngest was Edward Paul Doherty the man we are discussing. By 1861 he had moved south to New York and perhaps for excitement or employment he enlisted into the 71st New York militia on April 20th. 1861.This regiment fought at the 1st battle of Bull Run. Mustered out on Aug 9th 1861. However in July 1862 Doherty rejoined the Union Army this time as a Capt. and commander of Co. A 155th New York Vol. Infantry. He served in this regiment until May 1863 when his army career changes again and he is commissioned as a 1st Lieut. in the 16th New York Volunteer Cavalry Regt mostly operating around Wash. D.C. He was now mobile on horseback and in 1864 was praised for scouting work he did in the Rapidan River area. However things would change for him when some nine days after the assassination of Lincoln he was orderd on the 24th April to the offices of General Lafayette C Baker together with some 25 of his enlisted men. The hunt for Lincolns killers would commence. His name in history assured.
After the successful operation in finding the Killer of Lincoln Doherty collected his $5250 award. He was promoted to captains rank.and his regiment was merged into the 13th New York Volunteer cavalry to form the 3rd New York Provisional cavalry which was mustered out Sept. 21st 1865. However Doherty seems to have had a liking for cavalry life and some seven months later was commissioned into the 5th United States Regular Cavalry until it was mustered out in late 1870. Now it was back to civilian life. He would still be a young man aged about 30. For the remainder of his life he is thought to have been employed in one of New York cities works departments. He died relatively young aged 57. However his deeds were not forgotten and he was buried in Arlington Cemetery Va Section 1. Lot 690. His grandparents and ancestors buried in the Old Graveyard in Sligo town.

Pvte. Emory Parody 16th New York Cavalry.
It is known that there were some 25 cavalry soldiers included in the troop assigned to the task of finding Lincoln's killers. We have some information on two of these men.
Emory Parody was from French Canadian stock and born in New York. By trade a shoemaker. After his war exploits were over he seems to have settled in Nashville, Barry Co. Michigan. However later in life the family appear to have headed northwest to Oregon as less than a month after his death in 1924 his wife Frances files for a pension from Oregon. Emory is buried in Lincoln Memorial Cemetery, Portland, Multnomah Co. Oregon.

Pvte. John Millington 16th New York Cavalry.
John Millington would appear to have been a native New Yorker born Feb 27th 1845. He enlisted at Plattsburg N.Y. into the 16th New York Calvary on the 21st July 1863 and mustered in on 13th Aug. 1863. He was transferrd out 17th Aug 1865. During this period he took part in the group charged with the tracking down of John Wilkes Booth who had assassinated Pres.Lincoln.This assignment commenced April 24th 1865. After this assignment with the 16th New York he transferred into Co. L of the New York 3rd Provisional Cavalry. He ended his military career 21st Sept 1865 at Camp Berry Wash. D.C. His war was over. John Millingtons main claim on this part of history was that he carried Booths body back to a U.S. warship for its return to Wash. D.C.
Later in life Millington and his family settled in Portland Oregon. He died Nov 11th 1914 and was buried in The Grand Army of the Republic cemetery in Portland Multnomah Co. Oregon.

Lieut. Charles B Tanner M.O.H. 1st Del Infantry/69th Pa Inf Co. H.

Born Philadelphia 1842 died Dec 13th 1911.

This man had a most interesting life. In the history of the 69th Pa. Infantry he appears to have been overlooked and in many cases just noted as yet "another" soldier who served in the ranks probably because he did not enlist into the 69th until the end of 1864. Charles B. Tanner was born in Philadelphia circa 1842. At the beginning of the war he chose to enlist not in a Pennsylvania Regt but in a Delaware Regt. the 1st Delaware Regt. He enlisted with sergeants rank and quickly moved up the ranks to sergeant major and to 2nd Lieut. on April 1st 1862 in various companies of the 1st Delaware Regt. Looking at his Dead Record certificate below it is seen that in the 1st Del Regt. he had served as Serg Major in Co's D, E and H before he enlisted into Co.H of the 69th. Pa. which he did as 1st Lieut. in Nov 1864 until discharged in May 1865.
Tanner initially enlisted like the men in the 69th into the fledgling infantry unit of Capt. Robert Milligans Del. Inf. Regt at Wilmington Delaware in 1861. He was just 19 years of age noted as being some 5ft 11 ins tall (tall for a soldier of the time).
However as the term of engagement ended and as the army was going on to a more regulated and permanent scene Tanner then enlisted in the 1st Del. Regt. initially as a Sergt then quickly moved up the ranks and was 1st Lieut by April of 1862.
The 1st Del. Regt. was very quickly and often the the thick of things and I will leave the reader to investigate the war scenario. This small bio is really about the man. However his bravery and leadership qualities came to the fore at the engagement as Sharpsburg Md. Is was his actions there that he showed qualities that would later lead to his being awarded his Medal of Honour. Wounded at Sharpsburg whilst recuperating in hospital there he was promoted to 1st Lieut. Later a year at the battle of Chancellorsville May 1st-3rd 1863 for action in saving many men from a burning wooded area he was recommended for promotion to brevet-captain by Colonel Thomas A Smyth. At Gettysburg and now adjutant of the Regt. he was again wounded and spent time in hospital there. Due to his wounds he was discharged from the army on Sept 13th 1863. His was over? not quite as he obviously deemed himself well enough to serve the cause and after less than a year recuperating enlisted into Co. H. of the 69th Pa. infantry as 1st Lieut. In the thick of things again he was wounded in the knee at the battle of Petersburg Va.

Like Lieut Lovett of Co. E Tanner he had a small yet significant marker to lay in the history of the 69th Pa and I suppose in American Civil War history. Lieut. Charles B.Tanner along with a Lieut. Albert Nones brought back the body of General Thomas A. Smyth to Wilmington Del. for burial. It was General Thomas A Smyth who had indeed recommended Tanner for promotion after the battle of Chancellorville. Smyth was the last Union general killed in the Civil War.
After the war Tennant seemed to get on with his life. He was still only in his mid 20's. He served as a postmaster in Kennett Square Pa. married and had a daughter. The family later moved to Wash D.C. where he worked as a clerk in the War Dept. until his retirement. He died on Dec.13th 1911. He is buried in Greenfield Cemetery Hempstead Long Island New York.
Tanner's bravery in the battle at Sharpsburg Md. did not go unnoticed and he was subsequently like Capt Charles McAnally also of the 69th Pa. awarded a Medal of Honour the citation stating.

" Carried off the regimental colors which had fallen within 20 yards of the enemies lines the color guard of 9 men having all been killed or wounded was himself three times wounded."

Pvte Cornelius (Neil) McDade Co H 69th. Pa Inf. Later Landsman U.S. Navy.

Born Philadelphia 1843 Died Philadelphia 4th April 1910.

When one looks down the lists of the names of the soldiers in the various copanies of the 69th. one generally sees a few notes, when enrolled, when mustered in, for how long and a few notes about where they served and any notes of interest about them. However one sees from time to time sees the statement "deserted" and alas one simply takes on a very negative impression and simply puts the name away. However a little more investigation sometimes throws up an interesting story in the background and in the case of Neil McDade this is one such story.
Cornelius (Neal or Neil) McDade started off his military career firstly by joining the 69th Pa Infantry. He enlisted at Philadelphia on 20th Aug.1861 into Co. H .He was aged 18 5ft 5ins tall, blues eyes. black hair. He was a labourer by trade.Lived in Philadelphia. However he was at some stage wounded, probably at the battle of Antietam. He deserted from hospital 21st Sept 1862. However he did not disappear as so many deserters do. He enlisted in the Union Naval service with an alias name of Neil Dawson. His navy record shows him as having served as a naval landsman on the ships "Exchange", "Mound City" and "Peosta". However all seems to have been forgiven and he is noted in his Naval record as having his real name and alias name recorded thereon. He died in Philadelphia April 4th 1910. He is named as Neil McDade U S Navy on his grave marker. A landsman rank in the U.S.Navy at the time of the Civil War was basically a seaman who was a general labourer on board ship learning the trade of a sailor. After three years service he would qualify as a rating.
Neil McDade is recorded as being on three ships in his naval service the Poesta. Mound City and Exchange. These tin clad ships served the Union cause in the rivers of the Confederate south.

The Poesta also known as Tinclad No 36 was an armed gunboat of the Union Navy used in the waterways of the Confederate south. She operated mainly in the Tennessee river area as a armed gunboat 1863-1865.

Like the Poesta the Mound City was an armed gunboat of about 500 tons. She operated mainly in the Mississippi river area also as an armed gunboat. Operated 1862-1865.

Missing in Action - M.I.A.

Private James Skinneder Co. G. Born Co. Monaghan Ireland 1827 died Gettysburg Va. 3rd.July 1863.
Has no known grave.

The headstone/marker images above represent those of the very few soldiers who have recorded graves or on which we have burial information. Hundreds of the 69th Pa. soldiers have no known graves. No doubt they are mainly buried in mass battlefield graves or unmarked and unrecorded graves not only in the United States but in countries to which they returned or migrated to. Probably after their relatives passed on memories and information on them generally passed into oblivion. Many of these men were simply said to be "missing in action"- MIA. However here is a small memorial to one such man. Let this information be a memorial to all those with no known graves.
James Skinneder was born in Co. Monaghan Ireland in 1827. His name does not really fit into the "usual" name patterns associated with Ireland. At first glance the name suggests Skinnader was from Scots planter or Huguenot stock. However further investigation and with some knowledge of the history of Co. Monaghan its source can be determined. It is known that many census were carried out in Ireland mostly by the British military at various times. As both the Irish place names and names of people were difficult if not impossible for the English census takers to understand they simply wrote down what sounded correct to them resulting in "Anglicised" place and people names.
Such was the case of the name Skinnadar. The name is most probably the Anglicised version of the Irish name "scianadoir" a person associated with the use of knives. But for what purpose?. It is probably that the Skinnaders were an extended family or group of inter- related families who were perhaps employed by some of the ruling hunting families perhaps the McKennas, as skinners of animals hunted in the area of what is now Co. Monaghan. The name seems to be very unique and seems to be mostly in the Emyvale area of Co. Monaghan. The name is also found in parts of Scotland where the name turns up in the Scots Gaelic form as "seicheadair" a skinner of animals. Like so many poor familes or family members James Skinneder hits the emigrant trail probably in the post famine era and the next recorded information we have on him is in 1851. He was recorded as having married Elizabeth Quinn in St. Malachys Catholic church Philadelphia the 2nd Nov. 1851. It is noted that their daughter Mary Elizabeth was baptised at St Malachy's church in Philadelphia by a Father Kelly. At the relatively old age 37 years of age James enlisted in Co. G. of the 27th Pa. Infantry on May 5th 1861. It is possible that he had been a member of the Montgomery Guard militia prior to enlisting in the 27th. Pa. Regt. However by Sept. 6th of the same year this Irish Co. within a very Germanic 27th. Pa. transferred to the 69th Pa.
On July 3rd. 1863 James Skinnedar found himself fighting at Gettysburg. He received wounds that would prove fatal. He was probably killed by "friendly" fire by Cowans battery of artillery to the rear of the 69th at the famous Wall at Gettysburg. On July 7th 1863 an entry in the Philadelphia Evening Bulletin lists his name amongst the casualties at Gettysburg. In a later muster out roll it is stated that he is "absent since wounded July 3rd 1863 at Gettysburg".The last military record on him. But what of his wife?. Records show that in 1866 Lieut. Bernard Sherry a most honourable man stated in Elizabeth's pension claim that at Gettysburg "Skinneder was mortally wounded and carried from the line". His wife subsequently received a pension of $8 a month. No record would ever be found of her husband. He was truly missing in action a fate that befell scores of his comrades. He was probably buried in an unmarked grave somewhere either on the battlefield or environs of Gettysburg.

With thanks and acknowledgement to.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Information from project by Jordan Pickrell.
The Evening Telegraph, Philadelphia, PA, June 24, 1870.
Benn Pitman, The Assassination of President Lincoln and the Trial of the Conspirators. New York, N.Y. Moore, Wilstach, and Baldwin. 1865.
The Philadelphia Record..
Union County Star and Lewisburg Chronicle.
With thanks to Randy Fletcher author of the book Hidden History of Civil War in Oregon.
Thanks to Stephen G.Miller for images of Pvts Millington and Parody.
Thanks to U.S Dept of the Navy Hist.Section Wash D.C. for gunboat images.
With thanks to Karl Jensen whose input in finding markers of the old soldiers of the 69th and information on has been invaluable. Many thanks